I am running for the KCSD Board of Education and am asking you to vote for me in the Board of Education Election/Budget Vote on May 20, 2014.
- Born in Michigan and graduated from Michigan State University with a Bachelor’s Degree in Natural Science, concentration in Computer Science
- Resident of the Kingston City School District for the last 24 years
- Worked as a computer programer at IBM for 11 years
- Husband Sean works at IBM; 2 daughters – Mira in grade 10 at Kingston High School; Julia in grade 7 at J. W. Bailey Middle School
- Active at Kingston Alliance Church as Church Board secretary, Christian Education director, Sunday School teacher, and co-director of several children’s ministries of the church
- Past president of Hudson Valley Youth Chorale
- Involved with school parent groups at Edson Elementary School, J. W. Bailey Middle School and Kingston High School
- Served as Edson District Wide Parents’ Council representative; currently Bailey PTO Secretary (3 years) and KHS Parent Association president (2 years)
- Current DWPC co-chair serving for a total of 5 years
- Co-founder of Kingston Action For Education
Parent involvement is essential in the education of our children. Parents can be involved in many different ways and successful parent involvement looks different from family to family. My passion throughout the time I have been a part of the Kingston City School District has been focused on
- how parents can be involved in the education of their children,
- how parents can be informed,
- how parents can confidently ask questions or raise concerns when they need to,
- how parents can have a voice in the educational process.
Communication between home and school is vital and an area that can always be improved. With the additional layers of confusion and complexity added by the Common Core Agenda and the impact it has on our local school district, there is even more need for the board of education and administration to work with parents, teachers, and the community to find solutions that work for everyone and provide the best education possible for the children of the Kingston City School District. I am running for school board to help parents and caregivers be active partners in the education of their children and to get their needs and concerns successfully addressed by the school district.
Of course I will also dedicate myself fully to the many responsibilities of a school board member as I work with the other 8 members of the Kingston board of education to oversee and manage the school district’s affairs, personnel and properties.
Please plan to attend Meet the Candidates Night hosted annually by District Wide Parents’ Council on Tuesday May 13, 2014 6:30pm at Kingston High School to hear answers from all the candidates for school board to questions posed by members of the audience.
If you have any questions that you would like to pose to me personally before Meet the Candidates Night, please do not hesitate to contact me. You may use the contact form below or obtain my e-mail and/or phone number from the attached Bio sheet.